Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Interface - Action Update Values for Multiple Workflows

Nick_Malizia
5 - Atom

Hi,

Hope all is well. I have a question concerning Alteryx Interface Action tool for updating values, where I'm wondering if there's a possibility of having this update across multiple workflows?

Here's my situation. I have 4 separate Alteryx workflows where I am updating a daily subfolder save location for inputs and outputs across all these workflows. For example, I have inputs and outputs across all four workflows using a subfolder "C:/Documents/Feb 14", then I have connected an Action tool (Update Values) (replace specific string "Feb 14") which is connected a a textbox which prompts the user to type in the daily subfolder name, so i.e. if they run the Alteryx application for February 15th processes, there would be a subfolder example "C:/Documents/Feb 15" saved on the server, and they would input "Feb 15" in the text box prompt when running the Alteryx app which would change all the inputs and outputs to this "C:/Documents/Feb 15" path correctly. So everything here works smooth.

But there are four Alteryx processes, and I have selected to run the next in sequential order with the same idea for updating. So the finished product looks something like this: the user runs the first app, types i.e. "Feb 15" in the text box and submits which runs the first app, then the second app auto runs upon successful completion where another text box comes up and the user inputs "Feb 15" again and clciks submit to run the second app, and then upon successful completion another text box comes up for the third app and the user inputs "Feb 15" again, and likewise for the fourth app. So basically, the user is typing in for example "Feb 15" four times, one for each Alteryx application. So as you can see, this is redundant, so I'm wondering, is there any way the user can simply enter for example "Feb 15" in one text box and this carries over across all four Alteryx apps?

Also to clarify, due to large complex workflows, that need to specifically be run in a sequential order, I cannot simply combine all four Alteryx apps into one giant workflow unfortunately.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Nick_Malizia 

Check here and you may find something.

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Nick_Malizia Are they running this on the gallery or in alteryx designer? And if it's alteryx designer, are they running the alteryx workflows from a shared network drive or do they have a local copy of the alteryx workflows on their C drive?

I think what you're asking can done in any of the above cases, but the "best" workaround will depend on these items. And you may decide that these workarounds are too cumbersome/complex. 

Nick_Malizia
5 - Atom

Hey Patrick,

Hope all is well. This is being run in Alteryx Designer and it is being run from Alteryx workflows on a shared network drive.

Thanks

Nick_Malizia
5 - Atom

Thanks Qiu, I will check it out.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Nick_Malizia I would say that is the trickiest case 🙂 At a high level, your best option is to essentially write out the date info (Feb 14 or whatever the user puts) to a simple yxdb in the first workflow and read that file into the second workflow. Off the top of my head, you can output the file either to the person's local machine (ie assume everybody can save an output file to C:\Data\yourspecialfile.yxdb) or save the file in the workflow directory with some sort of identifier so people aren't competing with each other (ie use their username). One slight complication is that instead of your second+ workflows using the action tool, you'll need to switch to a dynamic input model (which could have its own perils). I'm attaching a simple example, hopefully that points you in the right direction.  

Nick_Malizia
5 - Atom

Interesting, I see what you mean. I will try this out. Thanks for your help Patrick 🙂

Labels