community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Alteryx Input Data "eating" .XLS cells data

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi, 

the Alteryx Data Input is eating cells data from an .xls file,
Setup as File Format: Microsoft Excel 97-2003(*.xls) . 
which i don't understand where is it going/being stored.

It throws [Null] values, when it should't, with one direct reading from the file tab. In the pic below, there are the  4 records displayed by the Input data and a screenshot of the original file, 
I wonder if anyone ever found such issue.

Thank you,

Quasar

Hi,

That's a strange one. Can you try saving the .XLS to CSV and see if that resolves the issue? What data type does Alteryx think the 'missing' data should be?

Iain

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hey @jcardoso

Have you got merged cells in your workbook? I can't quite tell from the picture.

If you have I suspect that this is why your cell alignment is being thrown off

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Asteroid

Hi, thank you both,

@ivoller, yes, saved into .csv, copied to another file, saved into .xlsx,  but still the same result.

@LordNeil, yes, there are merged cells, the vertical and part of the horizontal blue bars 

Alteryx Certified Partner

@jcardoso

You might need to work around the issue in Alteryx as I guess you won't be able to change the report

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Asteroid

If someone wants to have a look at the file, attached a sample! As this will be part of a more complex automated system, built a macro trying saving into .xslx before, but now i've another issue, as the macro only reads the first row of the sheet :-(

Pulsar

I think @ivoller is onto something with saving as a CSV.  Try that, but not copying back into an excel file.  Seems to be working if I connect directly to the CSV:

image.png

Asteroid

Hi, the question here is, even though saving this file (manually) into a .csv or .xlsx will output all the data in the file, how do i do that in Alteryx, without reading the .xls first? Because i always need to read the .xls first prior to building any file/table.  

Asteroid

Hi, i've sorted this using and updating the macro on the post below, for the purpose. Dynamically, the .xls is read, converted to .xlsx in the same folder and then a macro to read the .xlsx tabs. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Sources/Error-opening-an-XLS-not-xlsx-file/td-p/47085/page/2

Thank you so much to all which contributed and @DanJones.
Regards

Labels