Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Gallery timing out on Redshift Queries

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am running queries using applications loaded to an Alteryx Gallery, and if the queries get over a certain size the server times out and closes the connection.

What are the possible configurations causing this? I know it's not the VM cause I've run these queries outside of the Gallery. What configuration of the Gallery is limiting the processing power?

Cheers!

5 REPLIES 5
Garrett
11 - Bolide

Not an Alteryx Gallery configuration, but rather a machine configuration: have you messed around with Firewall Timeout (specifically TCP\IP timeout settings)? Solved similar issue for me. See: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/mgmt/connecting-firewall-guidance.html

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar
Are you using the InDB tools? That might help improve the query time and prevent the timeout issues
bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

So to expand on my issue a bit:

I'm using in-DB tools in this application. What's curious is that the program will run when given a small range of data to pull. However, when you increase that range, the tool will fail after a 2-hour run time. 

When I check the Redshift query console, it shows that the query aborted after 22 minutes, which makes no sense given that the application ran for nearly two hours.

I have increased the memory allotment in the Designer installed on the Server, with no apparent effect. I'm going to now look into the Server Settings for anything I can improve.

Any thoughts here, folks? Thanks in advance! 

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

I have lots of Browse tools in this workflow... That surely couldn't be causing this break, could it?

bryanbumgardner
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone!

The issue was that the database was almost full and there was no room in the memory for expanded queries. When the database size was increased, the issue disappeared.

Thank you! 

Labels