Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Gallery output varies from Designer output

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have a workflow that returns the expected output when running from Designer.  However from Gallery, it is omitting a column.  Using the screen captures below, the Contractual Basis Points column is the one that's dropping.  Not sure if this is important to the issue at hand, but this workflow essentially converts 4 txt files (inputs) into 4, corresponding xlsx files.  Of the 4 input files, only one contains the Contractual Basis Points column. 

Any ideas on why Gallery might be dropping this column?   

[Expected output - run from Designer]

Jake5_0-1654699770404.png

[Output - when run from Gallery]

Jake5_1-1654699817637.png

10 REPLIES 10
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jake5 

Are you inputting all 4 txt files and unironing then to one output?  If so, try 4 separate outputs, or; ensure that you config your union to have the file with the Contractual Basis field as input #1, then the others as 2, 3, 4...and Manually Configure Fields

HomesickSurfer_0-1654703234728.png

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response.  Yes - I'm creating 4 separate outputs (no union).  And I have it structured with a Directory tool at the onset to identify the 4 input files.  That's followed by a Record ID tool for numbering each file (path), followed by a filter tool for assigning record 1 to workstream 1, record 2 to workstream 2 and so forth.  And again, it works as desired when running through Designer.  But unsure why it's not doing the same through Gallery.  

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jake5 

Directory Tool then followed by a Dynamic Input Tool?  I'll take a look if you share your workflow.

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Jake5, is this column partially fed from a second data source or anything? I’m just wondering if the workflow dependencies are off and the 3 flows that don’t work are trying to reference/bring in information from a source they can’t access.

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Correct - directory tool -> Record ID -> Filter -> Dynamic input.  Attached is the workflow followed by the 4 sample inputs.  So you'll see the input titled "Class_F_323101_11_07_47" is the only one to contain the "Contractual Basis Points" column.  This is the one that's dropping when run through Gallery.  

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

I've inspected your flow.  When using the Dynamic Input Tool, your Input Data Source Template must be with the same fields schema as the expected input.  Your Class_F_323101_11_07_47 file, being the unique of the series, needs the dynamic input template to match it.  Your other 3 templates should match the other files.

Jake5
8 - Asteroid

Can you clarify what you mean by "Data Source Template?"  Is that synonymous with the originating txt file - Class_F_323101_11_07_47 ?  My challenge with this workflow is the input file names change each month (outside client) and our user simply drops all four files into an input folder as they are received each month.  Therefore, my intentions are for this workflow to be dynamic enough that if in month 1 (for example), the odd-ball file is the first file to be dropped into the input folder, it will read into the Lane 1 workstream.  But if in Month 2, it's the 2nd file dropped, then it works through Lane 2 and so on.  

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jake5 

The Data Source Template is the file used as a template in the Dynamic Input Tool configuration.

Your Class_F_323101 file path coming in must match the same template.

HomesickSurfer_0-1654772030473.png

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jake5 

All good now.  Did any of my responses work for you?

Labels