Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Excel Sheet Input with Invalid Characters

Yupei
7 - Meteor

I am trying to read in a sheet from an excel with the sheet name "Prep Info & Run Data".

I pass this string to my dynamic input:

R:\Excel.xls|||Prep Info & Run Data$

The error I get back is:

Error: Dynamic Input (8): Error opening table: Microsoft Access Database Engine: 'Prep Info & Run Data$' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.\3125 = -537199594

Error: Dynamic Input (8): Error opening table: Microsoft Access Database Engine: Invalid bracketing of name ' Prep Info & Run Data$'.\3126 = -530252778

Is there anyway around this? Renaming the sheet is out of the question because there are 1300 excels named this way that I need to read in.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Yupei 

Could you take a screenshot of your workflow?

Are you selecting the option to change the Entire File Path in the Dynamic Input?

Cheers,

Yupei
7 - Meteor

Screenshots attached.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Yupei 

Try to add the Sheet Name without the dollar sign ($)

Your full path being:

R:\Excel.xls|||Prep Info & Run Data

Cheers,

Yupei
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus 

Same issue

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Yupei 

How are the original names of the sheets of these files?

Are the files opened?

R:\YC\STRIKES\Year 2016\16-001\16-001.xls
R:\YC\STRIKES\Year 2016\16-003\16-003.xls

Watch out for the template file as well, it's important to check this out.

Cheers,

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Yupei 

I've try to recreate your error with no success.  Can you post a copy of your excel file?  Replace all the data with dummy data, but leave the tab names the same.

Dan

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I just tested the Dynamic Input tool reading from sheets that contain "&" and "$" successfully. This worked when updating just the sheet name and when composing the entire file path in the same format that appears in the images attached by @Yupei .

Can you share the Excel file? There may be something else unique about this file. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Yupei 

Looking up this error on the Internet I found that this could also be due to runtime failure.

Maybe checking if the files are opened and restarting the application could solve the issue.

Cheers,

Yupei
7 - Meteor

@danilang

@CharlieS 

@Thableaus 

Copy of file attached.

Files are not open during runtime.

If I go in and manually change the sheet name, and have my workflow look for just

[FullPath] + '|||Prep Info Run Data$' I have no errors. The inclusion of the & symbol is throwing the errors.

Labels