Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Excel Import, Is there a way to bring through the calculation for the cell?

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey,
I'm just looking for a little help regarding an excel import. I have the following file:

TheOC_0-1620907609865.png

Field 3 is populated by a calculation, as you can see, 1+2. Is there a way to bring that calculation through to Alteryx, rather than just the value of the cell?
The data is brought into Alteryx as such:

TheOC_1-1620907702355.png

I've attached the spreadsheet if it helps investigate.
Cheers!
TheOC

Bulien
12 REPLIES 12
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @TheOC 

I dont think its possible. Most of the applications when it reads data from the excel file it can read only the data but not the underlying formula.

But lets see if anyone has a hack on how to do this.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @atcodedog05, long time no see!

That was my assumption, but ran into an issue a couple days ago which may require it - I guarantee someone has a magic method 😁

Cheers!
TheOC

Bulien
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @TheOC ,

As a matter of fact, I believe there is a way.

In a post yesterday, @danilang showed how you can read an Excel file as a .zip file and then parse the comments of some cells. I've never seen anything like that before and as he said, "parsing the various xml files within, you can find out all sorts of secrets".

So I tried something similar, using exactly the same inputs; now, I'm no XML master but in just a few minutes I managed to play a bit with the xml tool and I was able to find this

Screenshot 2021-05-13 134022.jpg

This is the formula I used in the Excel file, to calculate cell B2

AngelosPachis_0-1620909670064.png

So it's doable! Sorry this is not a perfect solution for you but hopefully it can show you the way. With a bit more delicate parsing, you should be able to get there.

Cheers,

Angelos

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

oh man, thats an impressive solution!

Massive props to you and @danilang.

I think that should get me the rest of my way, thank you!!

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Oh my God 😮 This is just mind-blowing 😮

Is there anything that @danilang  cant do ?

Thanks for sharing this with us @AngelosPachis 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

And i guess at the end of the day everything is just XML then 😅

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I think this is closer to the truth than we think 😅

Bulien
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Stop it!!

You guys are making me blush!!

Dan

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Error: Input Data (22): Error reading "xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml": Record #1: Fields must be smaller than 16M

Any solution on this without manual change to the input file? I think there're too many columns there.

Labels