Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Email tool not sending every mail

Dennisklad1
8 - Asteroid

Hello everybody,

I am using the Workflow below and send a report with the email tool to about 150 addresses.

For some reason do not all people receive the report. I cant figure out a pattern. 

Could this have to do with the designer performance or with the smtp server?

Is there a way to validate who received the mail, like an excel or something?

Are there tools to resend email that where not received?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @Dennisklad1 

It could be a couple things like the SMTP limits (not likely though but I have seen it) and it could be the workflow (I have seen this the most 🙂 )

So where you have that browse tool at the end, turn that into an output so you get a list out of all the fields you sent out. That would be the first place to start. 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What does the output log look like?  Can you run it multiple times (maybe let the users know ahead of time that you'll be testing and to ignore . . . label your subject "TESTING" or something so as not to confuse them).

Each time you run it, copy and paste out the Output Log and see if there's any clues there (is it always the same number of emails that do not get sent?).

Dennisklad1
8 - Asteroid

What is wierd is that in the browse tool, all mails and reports are included. 

The problem is in the email tool. 

2020-10-07 14_05_06-Clipboard.png

Problem is that I cant know how many people actually receive an email, as I cant ask all 150 of them.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A couple things here: 

• If you are certain it's the mail tool then add yourself to the bcc so that you have a count of emails that get sent out or you could also output to a file so it would be easy to process which emails got sent and which didn't. 
  • In 99% of the cases where the emails didn't get sent it was always due to bad format of the email address.
Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels