Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Egnyte Collaboration

MaddieD
5 - Atom

My team and I are running into an issue with collaboration via Egnyte with Alteryx. The connection on my computer works fine, but were finding that we have to manually refresh the input and output sources anytime my team uses the workflow (which is a lot if there are x10 inputs/outputs)

I tried creating a macro that would just update the input location with my coworkers names:

C:\Users\MaddieD\Egnyte\Shared\......... to ..............C:\Users\Coworker\Egnyte\Shared\

but its a temporary fix and I would love to find a more resolute solution other than having to update the inputs/outputs every time.

Does anyone have any collaboration suggestions or are familiar with Egnyte connections in Alteryx?

Thank you!!

9 REPLIES 9
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

You can find the first part of this path with a function in a formula tool:

GetEnvironmentVariable('Userprofile')

You could create your path using this with the following formula:

GetEnvironmentVariable('Userprofile')+'\Egnyte\Shared\'

Then you could use a Dynamic Input instead of the usual Input Data tool to read in your specified files.

Hope this helps!

MaddieD
5 - Atom

Hello!

Thank you for your input -- your solution does help with the output so thank you for that!

I'm still running into the issue with the input, because the data isn't pulling from the sources on Egnyte -- they are all the same document, but the Users/MaddieD vs. Users/Coworker is forcing an error. Its not finding the files for the input because the input is directed to the last connection made by the previous user like the picture attached. Is it possible to connect the actual document without having it connect to the user profile so then anyone can run the workflow without having to configure the in/outputs?

Should I just use a macro for the input and then your solution for the output? Thank you again for your help!!

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I've attached an example of how I might do this - try replacing your input data tool in your screenshot with the tools in the attached workflow and see if that works!

You may want to update the Dynamic Input template to prevent errors.

MaddieD
5 - Atom

That worked -- thank you!!!

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

piggy backing on this discussion, is it possible to do something similar for a Directory tool?  

Claje
14 - Magnetar

So that's a rather interesting topic.

The short answer is "kind of".

The Directory tool itself uses windows file navigation, so %USERPROFILE% looks like it works if you type it in - it will even show you subfolders as you type in a path.  However, on runtime, the Alteryx engine takes over and doesn't have a way to handle %USERPROFILE%.

I would recommend creating an Alteryx macro to handle this.  You can either do text replacement with an action tool to add support for typical Windows paths (%USERPROFILE%, %APPDATA%, etc), or you could create a drop down or check box to use these functions.

You can even replicate the Directory tool inputs without needing to use HTML inputs or anything like that, so it will look relatively seamless for the end user.

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

That's a great idea, thank you!

matthewflynn4
5 - Atom
Hi, Do you have a similar solution for the output data? My input matches your workflow example but I have to manually change the filepath for the output data. If you have a workflow example for the output or know which tools I need for the output data file that would be great! (My output file is different than my input file if that is relevant)
Darrie8468
8 - Asteroid

Here's a question... Will this work if the workflow was run from the Alteryx Gallery?  How would the server know what UserName to use?

Labels