Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Desktop automation tool and Designer OS license capability

Avishek1
8 - Asteroid

Dear Expert,

I need some input on following for continuous ETL cycle:

1. We are planning to develop one workflow which will connect with ADL(Azure Data Lake) as databrick connector on top of Azure spark -  Please let me know if it is feasible using IN-DB tool in Alteryx Designer which is licenses by Alteryx License server

2. We are planning to purchase Alteryx Designer OS license  so it will allows to install in some VM Windows server 2012x or Higher

3. We also want to schedule the workflow using Desktop Automation Tool to run it in a certain frequency  -

Please let us know if there is any challenge with above approach, also using desktop automation tool what is the number of concurrent workflow I can schedule?

Also as above tool is licensed based specific to  person and machine in case if the person left organization how we can ensure the scheduler to run as expected.

3 REPLIES 3
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi

I'll answer your questions one by one

1. Alteryx can connect to ADLS and connect to Databricks. You can also use the Spark Code tool or use the In-DB tools to connect to Spark via ODBC. There are specific connections using In-DB for Spark on Databricks and Spark on Azure HDInsight.
  2. This is fine
  3. This will not work. The Desktop Automation does not work on VM or Server OS. It is for automating on a desktop.
  4. Concurrent workflows with Desktop Automation is 1.
  5. In terms of the person leaving the organisation, you would need to transition the license before they leave or you can release it after they leave and get it re-assigned to someone else.
Avishek1
8 - Asteroid

Hi @KaneG Thanks for your quick response.

We are working on a solution to extract some data as sql connection from databriick which need to be Automated to execute on a daily basis , so looking at the automation scope Alteryx server is tool costly compare to Automation tool, Are you saying Automation tool will only work on Desktop /AWS E2 instance?

Is it possible to run it any EC2 instance ?

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It is not possible to run it on an EC2, that would be both Server OS and VM. It is a Desktop Automation product, not meant to be an unmonitored setup.

You can work with your Account Representative to see about possibilities.

Labels