Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Designer, combine multiple excel files in same directory

brperkins2
6 - Meteoroid

Is there an Alteryx workflow or macro that can take multiple excel files in the same column format (in same folder directory), merge into one dataset? For example, I have 18 excel files in the same column format. The reason is because there is like 5 million records, so we break them up into smaller files. But I then need to combine to get total record counts, column totals, etc. I know I can input the files one by one then union them. However, I wanted to see if there is a workflow that can take all the excel files in one folder directory, union them, then get statistics.

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

@brperkins2 are the files named similarly and the sheet names within the same, as they are in the example you have provided? There's a few ways to handle this but the easiest is just using a wildcard in the input if the naming follows a similar convention.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
DataDynamite
7 - Meteor

What @DataNath suggests is the easiest, also a directory tool feeding a dynamic input, replacing the file path string is another harder option.  Using a batch macro for this isn't necessarily needed.

Labels