Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Designer Locking Up

Troy
8 - Asteroid

So I have been having this problem for months where when I open another workflow in Alteryx, Alteryx will lock up (can't click anywhere). Today while working with another client I think we found steps to reproduce.  Is this just me and my client that have this issue?

Reproducing Alteryx locking up

1. Open workflow

2. Ctrl-F, select any input tool

3. In window explorer, double-click to open workflow in Alteryx

4. Every time, I have tried this it has caused Alteryx to be locked (can't click anywhere or do anything)

I'm using Alteryx 2018.4.5.55178 and am setup that all workflows open into same Alteryx window.  I know this has been a problem with other versions of Alteryx.

The only workaround I'm aware of this is to always keep a workflow open that has changes not saved, then right-click on taskbar of Alteryx and select close window. When prompted to save hit cancel and you can get control back.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the only way this happens but hopefully we can get this fixed.  It is very annoying.

11 REPLIES 11
andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Troy ,

I have experienced something similar. Where I think the problem is arising is there are technically two dialog boxes that are conflicting. There is the one for Find tools dialog box and the other for some workflows verifying the import. The key I have found is to make sure all of the dialog boxes are closed before opening a new file from outside of Alteryx. Still not a fix, but I hope it helps.

Regards,

Andrew

Troy
8 - Asteroid

I should have said that I close the Find tool box.  In turns out that selecting an input tool(CSV, XLSX or YXDB) and then opening another workflow causes Alteryx to lock.

Steps:

1. Select Input Tool

2. Window Explorer, double-click to open another workflow

3. Alteryx is locked

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Troy ,

I will keep an eye out an conduct some tests while I am working with clients. If I see more occurrences I will make sure to share them here and with the support team.

Regards,

Andrew

Troy
8 - Asteroid

So been talking with support and they are unable to reproduce.  I get it to happen every time.  So apparently this is a my machine only thing. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Here are the steps

1. Close Alteryx. Open Step 1 (by double-clicking in windows explorer)

2. Click Input Tool with Test.xlsx, make sure you can see the data in the Preview.  If not change file path to where you put text.xlsx. Save and close workflow, close Alteryx.  Repeat step 1 & 2.

3. Using Windows Explorer, double-click on Step 2 so that it will open in Alteryx.

4. When Step 2 opens in Alteryx -- it is locked/hung.  Meaning you can't do anything, can click, zoom, close.  Have to close window or kill the process.

The good thing I have learned out of this is to never have anything in preview mode, always click on the canvas before opening a new workflow.  It's just annoying when I forget.

Thanks.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Troy ,

What hardware are you using is it a Dell with WIndows 10?

Troy
8 - Asteroid

@andrewdatakim No.  Using Windows 10 Professional on a Toshiba i7, 16GB RAM Laptop.  Support is unable to reproduce the issue and is waiting to escalate it until others report the issue.  I tried disabling A/V and am out of things to try except a clean install of Alteryx.  Before that I'm going to have a few clients on different computers see if they can reproduce.  Thanks.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Troy ,

This exact scenario doesn't trigger an issue for me, but I just recently upgraded to 2019.1. I will keep you posted with the exact steps if I can recreate the scenario when it freezes on me.

CraigG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Troy, 

Myself and possibly others at BAT are experiencing the same issue with lockup. I am also somehow experiencing flows slowing down randomly. First thought was that it was VPN related, but not sure.

I truly is annoying, since I never had this issue with the previous version.

When I have a chance I will test your flows to see if it is reproducible on my laptop.

Kind Regards

Craig

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you all for your feedback! We have logged a defect for this and it will be fixed in a future version (DE19456 for reference). We don't have an ETA on a fix, currently, but stay tuned!

For now, the workaround is to go into User Settings and uncheck the "Open Alteryx files as new workflow tabs in same Designer window" option. 

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels