Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx, Data wrangling

Benmelo
5 - Atom

Hey guys, I am new to this plateform. 

I am using Alteryx to sort some data for a project. I am not very familiar with the software yet so I need some guidance. 

I have some data within an excel file that I need to sort to identify three types of categories that are most likely to donate Students, Professionals, and Mentors. I am not sure how to go about it with Alteryx, please help!

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Benmelo ,

Post some of your data and we'll show how to do it.

Mock data is fine.

M.

Bulien

Benmelo
5 - Atom

need to find the people that are most likely to donate  (alumni, volunteers, and mentors)

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Benmelo ,

I've just done some basic calculations making a few assumptions.

I noticed the data is not as clear cut as you said, a person is not simply a mentor or an alum etc. but rather can belong to all groups or any combination therein.

So, with this in mind I've calculated the total number of donations, where a single person can have multiple donations, and as you are calculating the likelihood of donating I have taken this data to be at donation level, rather than a simple yes/no response to whether they have donated or not.

With this assumption in mind, I've then grouped all donors into their group, so all who are simply alumni are in one group, those who are alumni and mentors into a group and so on.

I have then calculated the number of donations by group and as a percentage of total donations made.

It turns out Alumni are the most likely to donate at least once, but those who are both Coach/Mentors and Event Volunteers are the most likely to contribute the most donations.

mceleavey_0-1625397232959.png

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Benmelo
5 - Atom

Thank you, this was helpful. 

how did you group the donors by categories (what specific function did you use), tehn how did you come up with the count. these might be obvious questions but I am barely finding my way with Alteryx.

If you don't mind walking me through it.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Benmelo - not sure if you've seen this but there's a ton of learning resources under the Alteryx Academy - the starting point may be "Alteryx for Excel users" if you're already familiar with Excel?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons

Labels