Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Crashes on startup

josecavalheiro
7 - Meteor

All of a sudden alteryx started crashing whenever i try to open the AlteryxGui.exe. I deleted Alteryx temp files but it did not seem to fix the issue. In addition, I've noticed that when the AlteryxGui.exe tries to run, it continuously allocates memory until it reaches nearly 1Gb. Then, it just crashes without displaying any error message (I get the same result if i try to run it from the command line -- no error message).

Do you know why this is happening? I'm free to provide any more details if necessary.

4 REPLIES 4
dataMack
12 - Quasar

An issue like that may be very specifc to your systems configuration.  Your best bet would be to contact Alteryx support (support@alteryx.com) so you could walk through it with them to help pinpoint the cause.

That said, an uninstall / reinstall seems to fix a lot of problems for most software.

josecavalheiro
7 - Meteor

The problem had to do with a macro that was referencing other macros, and one of those macros was referencing the first macro. That's why the alteryx designer was allocating memory constinuously and then crashing.

The solution consisted in removing the macro from the folder referenced in user settings/macros tab.

JulieH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Glad you were able to resolve your issue @josecavalheiro and thanks for sharing the solution - hopefully it helps other members of the community!

DanJones
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Jose! That's exactly what happened to me - a careless circular reference within macros. 

If others encounter a crashing issue that you suspect macros on, you can find the culprit macro by looking at the folder(s) that you have listed on your Alteryx User Settings>Macros Tab.  In windows, sort the folder per the modified date, and drag the top 1 or 2 macros out of that folder custom macros folder--the ones that were changed most recently.

Now try to start alteryx again. If alteryx now starts up, you've found the problem macro, and now with the problem macro living outside one of your custom macro folders, you can open the problem macro and fix it in alteryx. Once it's fixed, you can put the macro back in your custom macros folder, and move on with your life's goals.

Macros are life!

-dan

Labels