Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Business Requirement Template + Best Practices

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

I have an unusual ask.

I started working on a new project, and here we are using an excel template to describe the business requirements that Alteryx developers need to use to build workflows for a business.

The idea is excellent, in my opinion, but after working with them for a week, I see that we are missing some crucial details.

Like How to connect different data sources or what queries should be used to extract the data from the database.

I am creating this post to ask if other people have experience working with documents like that.

Do you have any best practices or maybe templates that you use?

After gathering some of them and polishing the file, I would be more than happy to share it with the rest of the community!

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Emil_Kos 

I can't share the document itself, but typically we use the following structure:

1. Process overview - description of the process the workflow is solving/augmenting, usually has a high-level flow chart.
  2. Assumptions: Any assumptions made building/scoping the workflow
  3. Inputs: List all inputs, descriptions of inputs, queries, etc
  4. Outputs: List all outputs, descriptions of outputs, and their formats
  5. Overall Structure of Workflow: High-level description of what the workflow is doing (for those not familiar with Alteryx) - i.e. data cleansing then business logic then outputs
  6. Workflow details: List and describe the various sub-processes (containers) and any relevant business requirements
  7. Data Dictionary
  8. Maintenance:
    1. How frequently should the workflow be reviewed?
    2. Standard Test Cases/Unit Testing procedures
  9. Roles & Responsibilities
    1. Who is responsible for the workflow, key contacts for source systems, end users, etc

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Luke_C,

Thank you that is very helpful! I hope I will gather few additional inputs and I can build my own template 😀

Yash2901
5 - Atom

Hello Emil_Kos,

I am looking for the similar template that you mentioned. Can you please share with me if you have built a template. It would be very helpful. Thank you.

Labels