Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Browser Input?

MarekRe
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am wondering if the below workflow could be achieved in Alteryx:

The workflow in a nutshell:

1. The accountant saves a specific excel file on SharePoint.*
  2. SharePoint sends the e-mail alert to Financial Controller that the report has been prepared.*
  3. The FC goes to Alteryx Server/Browser (?), selects the parameter (how many top items she wants to be analyzed). I don't want the Financial Controller to open Alteryx Designer on her desktop.
  4. Point 3 runs Alteryx workflow and triggers specific Excel macros to be run.
  5. Excel macros are supposed to do a simple ETL process**.
  6. Prepared Excel reports after completing point #5 are saved on SharePoint and send by e-mail with a specific body.

*These steps I will automate with Microsoft Power Automate, so no need for Alteryx here.

**These steps cannot be done in Alteryx, as some tables need to have a specific layout, formatting, etc. Plus, the Excel macros are already up and running, so I don’t see much value in re-writing these steps into Alteryx.

thank you,

Marek

2 REPLIES 2
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi

So all of the steps 1 - 5 seem like they could either be completed in Power Automate (you are already doing some of that, so I’d be interested on what the Alteryx bit at steps 3-4 do that can’t be done in Power Automate and Power Flow?), or in Alteryx.

In terms of your triggering Excel macros, I assume you mean to run a VBA script. This post and the links within it detail how this can be triggered by Alteryx - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Run-VBA-Code-from-Alteryx/td-p/564133

Also for formatting Excels, there is this post from @JosephSerpis which details how to do formatting within Alteryx - 

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
MarekRe
7 - Meteor

Brilliant - I didn't know that Power Automate can trigger Excel macros. I will explore this - thank you!

I always want to limit the number of tools used in the process due to maintenance and troubleshooting in the future.

thank you once again.

Labels