Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Analytical App

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have an ask which is simple when looked at it, but I'm making it complex in my head, hence I'd need some help from you guys. 

The demand is that, 

For example :

My company 'X' has n number of clients. Every day I ask my clients to send a portfolio report to me so that I can reconcile it with my report. 

Now, the report that these clients send is not in the standardized format that my company has put in place. So, currently, the employees have to manually format it to the standardized look. 

Coming to the FORMAT, it is nothing but a swapping of position and renaming the columns of the client files, the data inside those columns remain the same. 

Check the below tables for more clarity.

client 1    
region id sales category
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>

client 2   
contract numbertypeMoney madearea
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>

client 3   
tagsectionzonetransactions
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>

Standard File  
DepartmentAgreement NumberTradeProvince
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>
<data><data><data><data>

Now, the solution which I thought will be the most feasible is to make an analytical app and give the end-user maximum control of this, since the clients can keep changing in the future and every client has their own respective format. 

This is where I'm stuck, can I simply ask the end-user to input the relevant column names from the client files matched to the standard file, like : 

Input column name from client file matching with the below 
Department 
Agreement Number 
Trade 
Province 

After the end-user enters the column names from the client file the alteryx catches the entire data inside those columns and copies them to the standard file. 

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

The usecase seems to be similar to column mapping of macros input. How can this option be shown for analytic app need to see 🤔.

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hey @atcodedog05 , 

Can you help me with the use case? So that even I can have a look myself. 

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodefo

Can you help me tag some more people on this post who you think can help me in my query. 

Thanks. 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Just to clarify, who's the end-client you have in-mind? does that person have Alteryx.

Coz if you want the client (don't have Alteryx - use an apps to map the fields themselves, it can be complicated.

But if the "end-user" is someone like yourself who has received this "wrong-formats" from client and only need to input the mapping via an interface. This is a simple issue.

Dawn.

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DawnDuong , 

Thank you for the quick response. 

The end user has Alteryx in his system, but once this workflow reaches him end user, he is only allowed to run it from the server.  

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @sanketkatoch05 

Perhaps the easiest way is to do an chained App setting. with the first App "map" the fields for further donwstream processing that you want to do.

Something like the below should work.

Basically it asks users to select 

1) The input file

2) to map which fields in the input file should map to the desired field.

Cheers.
Dawn.

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @DawnDuong , this works like a charm. 
Just to add to this, can we also save the inputs given by the end-user to some excel file or text file so that next time when the client data is repeated Alteryx can just refer this file for mapping rather than asking for end-user's input. 

Labels