Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx 11 Performance Issues

TylerMay
7 - Meteor

I upgraded to Alteryx 11 (from 10.6) this week and it is behaving extremely slow.  Every click takes about 10-30 seconds to respond.  When I deactivate a tool it takes 15 seconds for Alteryx to catch up.  Is this happening for others as well?

EDIT: I realize I am providing a minimal amount of information but i am thinking the Sharepoint tool is contributing to the performance.  Is anyone having issues with the Sharepoint input tool?

82 REPLIES 82
Ged_Walls
5 - Atom
OK wow, not positive - if alteryx rep hasn't been able to fix then that's worrying. I've raised with support so will see if I get a response there...

May be we simply have to downgrade but that is, quite literally, such a backward step...
***********************Disclaimer******************************** This message is confidential and may also be legally privileged. This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be free from so-called computer viruses. You should check for viruses before down-loading to your computer equipment. This Company randomly monitors its e-mail system (including incoming e-mails) for operational purposes. Heineken UK Limited Registered in Scotland, Registered Number SC65527 Registered Office: 3-4 Broadway Park, South Gyle Broadway, Edinburgh, EH12 9JZ *****************************************************************
Ged_Walls
5 - Atom

Did this problem actually get solved? I've just upgraded to 11.8 and it is unusuable.

Taking my machine off the network and wifi - it runs quickly - however, stick it back on the network and it is extremely slow. I may just have missed the resolution to this chain but if i cannot fix then will have to downgrade.

Anyone from Alteryx able to answer?

DamienMinter
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ged, 

Yes issue for me was resolved once I upgraded my machine to 16gb of RAM. It was pretty useless on 8gb of RAM. 

rgds

Damien 

Ged_Walls
5 - Atom

Thanks for the tip Damien - unfortunately, only one of our machines isn't on 16gb...the 16gb is a new build win 10 machine and it's crippled using the tool... Equally, the 8gb machine when not connected to the network is performing fine...

Anyone in the community contacted alteryx support yet and have any insight? it appears this is a very long-standing issue....

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For me, it's not the RAM, it's not the processor, and it's not the machine.  Alteryx version 10.6 runs perfectly fine on my machine, just as all versions up to and including 10.6 did.  With 11.0, up to and including 2018.1, I have performance issues.  It's thought that perhaps some kind of monitoring software we have is bumping into Alteryx, but again it's never been an issue before.  When I look at task manager, I see no monitoring software spiking when the performance issue occurs, so our IT does not believe any monitoring software is the issue.  Been working on this with my Alteryx rep since 11.0 was released.

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your continued reporting of these issues.  We are working towards several of the slowdowns that have been reported and you should start seeing some of them resolved in the latest 2018.1 release.  Specifically 2018.1.4.44311 which was made available on April 2nd.  There are remaining issues that we are tracking down.  Any additional information you can provide on when issues happen and what the logs look like will be helpful.

Thanks,
Ben

ralph2048
7 - Meteor

I have 2018.1.44.... version have 24 core work station 2 tb of HDD and 64GB of RAM. Win 7, 64bit.. I do not think that is the problem.

Having to wait 1.5 minutes between each change

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi @ralph2048

Do you have any macros that are on a network drive or something similar. I get a slowdown like that, when i have network issues, (as some of our macros are located on a shared location). 

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
ralph2048
7 - Meteor

Yes, I have network drives I must access. This tool need some way to turn off the check for those types of interfaces intelligently.

Ralph Jones
Staff Engineer

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Ya, the check for presence of macros can be a pain in these circumstances. 

Because of this we are changing our way of working with common macros. Rather than add the shared space being added for macros, we download the folder to a local location and update periodically... 

It's a pain, but once you de-link the macros on the network locations this pausing in between each action will stop. 

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
Labels