Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Check out our powerful new search update! You can read more here. Please let us know if you have any feedback by creating a topic here.

Alteryx 10.5 Connecting (Inserting/Updating) To Azure SQL Database

Highlighted
Asteroid

Daniel,

Wednesday at 11am does not work for me.  I'm on the road most of the day.   Are you on the east or west coast.  Would anytime after 6pm eastern work for you.  Let me know and thanks again.  I'm also hoping to speak with you about your screen scraping macro.

Thanks,

Jim

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I am on CEST, so after 6 pm is quite late at my time.

Daniel

Highlighted
Asteroid

Understood.  Would Friday morning work for you?  I'm wide open. 

Let me know. 

Thanks,

Jim

Highlighted

I am booked back to back on friday. Could you maybe shoot me an email on daniel@inviso.dk. Then it is easier to coordinate.

Best,

Daniel

Highlighted
Atom

Did you guys every figure this out?  I'm attempting the same process with an on-site SQL Server 2012.

Asteroid

JakePaz,

I have come up with a solution that is working pretty well for me.  Now when I want to do an insert, update or insert/update, I make use of the pre- and post-processing feature in the output tool.   First I take the data that I want to insert or update and use the output tool to create a table in the database (employees_tmp).  This table is simple a staging table and will be deleted the next I run my script.  

The second time I run my script, I use the pre-process feature to delete/drop my employee_tmp table.  Next, I create a new employee_tmp table and then use the post-processing feature to run a piece of SQL that accomplishes my objective.  Currently, I'm either using SQL the performs an insert from the employee_tmp table, using the merge command to run an Upsert (insert /update command) or I'm running a stored procedure that accomplishes my object.   This has worked very well for me and using the post-processing feature really opens up what you can accomplish. 

Hope this helps.

Jim

Highlighted
Atom

Thanks Jim,  I used a similar approach.  I used the output tool to produce a temp table.  Then I went into SQL management studio and ran the insert statement there.  It would work to use the post process as well, however I wanted to validate the statement for accuracy prior to committing the transaction.  SSMS allows for that with more visibility (that i know of) than Alteryx.  But thank you very much for getting back to me!

Jake

Labels