Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alternative to Batch Macro Running Process One At A Time

pfoster
6 - Meteoroid

I've recently inherited a task that involves updating file paths and running the same workflow ~25-30 times simultaneously, with each workflow exporting a unique .yxdb. I created a batch macro to run through this process for me, however, when the macro is processing one project at a time, it's taking too much time for it to be a viable option. Essentially, the workflow is taking two inputs and using a dynamic input tool to join the spatial object to the data in the lookup CSV. These are very large files.

Is it possible to create a macro to kick off each process, having them run ssimultaneouslyas before and not wait until the previous process has finished? Using a batch macros makes it possible to complete the entire task with the push of one button, but it is taking far too long.

3 REPLIES 3
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @pfoster,

As you've posted this in the Gallery forum I'm assuming that you have Alteryx Server.

If so, you may be able to run multiple workflows simultaneously depending on your server capacity and administrative settings, however it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to run 25-30 simultaneous workflows (if you in fact do have a large enough Server implementation to allow this then please let me know where you work as I want to work there too).  To kick off multiple workflows from a single workflow you may want to investigate the Runner and Conditional Runner tools in the CReW macro pack (see here and here for more).

The better option is probably to go back to the drawing board and find ways to optimise the existing workflow.  Some good starting points are to make sure you have as little data coming into the workflow as possible (i.e. no unnecessary fields) and to make sure your field types are configured using the most efficient formats.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get along.

pfoster
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply. I had considered server, but don't think we have the capacity. I'll look into those CREW Macro pack tools and see if they can help in this process.

Dkundu
6 - Meteoroid

Hello - I have use case to execute Altrex workflow in parallel. I have workflow parameterized using a one element which is getting data from Postgres and teradata and performing some comparison and creating an output file . This workflow is highly optimized but it takes 1 hr time to process the comparison as avg data volume is 50m . Now we want to execute the workflow in parallel say 5 parallel process by passing different parameter so that we can perform 5 comparison in 1 hour rather sone spending 5 hours . Could you please let me know how to do this in Altrex? 

Labels