Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Allow user to select dropdown from A Grid

bsharbo
11 - Bolide

Hello everyone. I am looking to build an analytic app where at run time a user needs to select a "Job Id"  from a sql table.  These job id's are then going to be used all over the workflow.

however there seems to be one problem.  In the 'job table' people need more than one column of information to tell which Job to pick.  For a simple example please see the following table.

JobId           JobName         jobActiveStartDate          jobEndDate

1                  Client A            1/1/2013                         12/1/2013

2                  Client A            3/1/2016                          1/1/1900

In the following example I can't simply put a drop down on the Job Id, because the runners of the applictaion have no idea what the Job ID means. They will know that they watn the job for "client A that started on 3/1/2016".    Given this information I would like to display the entire dataset above to them, and let them select the "row" that they want, and have that JobID carried over into the next workflow.

I haven't been able to come up with a way to do this using the Dropdown analytic app tool... Does anyone have any ideas on how to perform a task like this? :-)

Thanks so much!

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Here is an idea for you:

Create a view (or equivalent lookuptable) with columns of Name & Value.  In the Name field, you can concatenate (changing types to String) the values of the jobid,Client name, Start and end dates.  It might look like:  1: Client A | Start: 2013-03-01 | End: 2013-12-01 for the Name field and 1 for the value.

You can use the dropdown tool to read the external source of the "dropdown_table" and you'll get your desired outcome.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
bsharbo
11 - Bolide

Oh hey that's a unique work around for this problem!  Thank you for the help I will mark as correct :-)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Thanks @bsharbo!  If you'd like to see this functionality within the Alteryx tool, you might want to suggest it in Ideas.  Alteryx is very flexible and given an out of the box moment, you can make just about anything happen.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels