Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Allocate Append for Census Block Level estimates

sc8648
7 - Meteor

In order to get 2017 Census Block level estimates for basic variables, Population, HHs and HUs, I input a shape file for 2010 CBs and then the Allocate Append tool, identifying the CB spatial objects as "custom geographies".  I selected the Experian US 2017A (Q3 2017 Release)(v 8.6) table.  Just looking for clarification - Would this produce the best estimate of CB level data? 

Sandy Charneski

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's the idea!

It sounds like the variables you'll want to append are:

Basic Variables > Current Year Estimates A (2017) > Total Population [CYA01V001], Total Households [CYB02V001] and

Housing Units > Current Year Estimates A (2017) > Total Housing Units [CYB01V001]

sc8648
7 - Meteor

Thanks - that's exactly what I did.

sc8648
7 - Meteor

Where do I find the info to properly cite the source of this data?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think there's a few ways you could communicate the source of the data depending on the audience. I think identifying "Experian Q3 2017 Allocate data" is sufficient for most high-level conversations with colleagues.

Now if the question is "what are the sources that Experian uses to create the Allocate data product?" that requires a more complex response. Experian heavily relies on Census data for this information, but there are many other sources of data that get rolled into the final product. For a more complete answer on that subject, I would contact your Alteryx representative and ask for documentation on your data products.

sc8648
7 - Meteor

Thank you.

Sandy Charneski
Area Manager - Regulatory Relations
Economic & Competitive Analysis

Labels