Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Advice needed on parsing a column

tinonsaha
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

I have a column of data that I'm trying to parse out and am stuck on what to do to after using the text-to-column tool.

A typical cell in this column would look like this:

PageName = abcd, DataSet=wxyz

Sometimes these texts are rearranged and appear like this in the column to be parsed:

DataSet = wxyz, PageName = abcd

I'm parsing using , as a delimeter 

My desired output is to have all of the PageName =abcd and DataSet = wxyz in separate columns after the parsing but I'm unsure of how to set up logic within Alteryx to do so. Eventually I would like to do a count of the number of times specific PageNames and DataSets appear but I am currently unable to do that because if I use the summarize tool, group by each parsed column, and do a count on it, I receive back the same count for each of the columns. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

I've attached an example of how I would approach this.

I used Text to Columns to split to Rows on the comma character ",". Then, I used a second text to columns to split to columns on the equals character "=".  I used Data Cleansing to trim some whitespace that was left in each string, and then used a Cross Tab tool to pivot the data to the correct columns we are looking for.

Hope this helps!

tinonsaha
6 - Meteoroid

Works like a charm, I appreciate the help!

Labels