Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adobe PDF

nathanmccarthy
5 - Atom

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to import an Adobe .pdf file type into the Alteryx software.

11 REPLIES 11
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Although it does not exist as a native tool, here is an example of a tool someone built that leverages the r package pdftools: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/PDF-Input/5b685aff0462d710907f7a3b 

Given that a PDF consists of unstructured data, the information is generally brought in and then parsed out using text to columns and regular expressions. 

summarizer
9 - Comet

@nathanmccarthy @BrandonB Good question!

I love this tool and have used it successfully in big ways over the past 9 months.  Also Nathan, I found this video helpful to ensure you download everything correctly.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aM9YqC1Uuo

MJB_DA
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Do you know if it is possible to create an analytic app where the user can answer the two questions required of the PDF Input Tool? Said in another way, I would like users to be able to use my workflow that utilizes the PDF Input tool as an analytic app. When they go to run the application, it would ask them "Select Input Directory" and "File Specification (name only, can include wildcards)", and this would then populate the PDF Input Tool to run the workflow.

Thanks,

MJB_DA

summarizer
9 - Comet

@MJB_DA  Sorry, I do not have your answer, but a suggestion.  As you may already know, you can right click the PDF tool and choose to open the macro.  And then inside there is another macro. Have you messed around in there to see if you can make it work?  I'm trying... and I likely will figure it out, but I haven't yet.  I'm still on 2018.3 and I'm dissecting the PDF tool from about 2 yrs ago, by the way, but we're just about to be on 2020 next month, so the newer macro might be different, not sure. 

MJB_DA
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the response. Let me know if you have success with this approach. I am working on it as well. Thanks!

summarizer
9 - Comet

I have gotten it to work for a single PDF, but I haven't yet for multiple ones... this is solely due to my skill level with macros, not the tools.  It CAN be done, I just haven't tweaked them correctly yet.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You should be able to just add interface tools and action tools connected to the macro. You will need a folder browse and a text input with action tools that have the value highlighted that you would like to change. 

analytic app.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

For multiple PDF files, you just need to have a wildcard that accommodates the naming structure of the PDF files that you are looking to read in. The folder path will look at all files in the folder and the file name with wildcard will pull in any files with the given naming convention.

If you are looking to leverage multiple directory locations or add additional logic, you may want to open up the macro and tweak the logic in there as necessary. 

GouthamShetty
7 - Meteor

Hi Team, 

Need some help here - how do I give the file specification - For e.g. if I want only files with a keyword in it - "John Doe" how do I specify this ?

Labels