Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adjusting rows of data to columns to prep data

ameynder
6 - Meteoroid

I am new to the alteryx discussion boards.  I am trying to adjust data.  I have seen other question/answers that solve a portion of my issue, but not completely.

I am trying to get data like this:

clipboard_image_0.png  

To look like this:

clipboard_image_1.png

Thank you for helping

14 REPLIES 14
ameynder
6 - Meteoroid

It doesn't seem to accept my data...

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @ameynder 

The data came through. Thank you!! Should the first header row be combined with the second, or are there 4 levels of headers in this data?

Cheers!

Esther

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi again @ameynder 

So first thing that's causing wonkiness in the workflow is that the Excel file isn't consistent with the Merged and Centered fields. If you merge and center cells AN1:AR2, then Alteryx can read them in as being in the same row as Inbound and Outbound. The hidden column in Excel is also causing some challenges (assuming this is because of a drop down list needed for the column before it). Now the workflow looks at columns A-AR only (this is based on the headings you chose to prioritize on Sheet1

Modified the workflow just a touch. Instead of assuming that the first row contains headers, set the options to the first row contains data. That makes the columns easier to deal with, as far as matching up the rows correctly.

Also, deselected the "Dynamic Fields" options in all of the tools that had that option. I noticed that the performance of the workflow was off - fields kept changing as I ran the workflow more than once. So, you might have to fix the columns again if this isn't your real data. I'm unsure why, but Alteryx would drop some columns along the way, which could also be why it wasn't quite there.

Give this a run and see if it grabs what you need.

Cheers!

Esther

ameynder
6 - Meteoroid

@EstherB47,

This seems to be optimized and gets the end format correct, which is awesome.  I looked at the totals though and they do not match.  The original sheet shows 1.7M for the count of "# of ctns" where the alteryx output says 5203.

ameynder
6 - Meteoroid

@EstherB47,

I checked one more time and it works ties out!  Thank you so very much for your help.  I appreciate you helping me here!

Labels