Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adjusting number of visible rows within a listbox.

Reagan_411
5 - Atom

Hi!

I'm working on an analytic app with a number of different filters to act as a quick way to custom reports from a large dataset. (See below for the interface part of my workflow.) Is there a way to adjust the number of lines visible at one time in a listbox? I've currently worked around it by using check boxes, but the vendor list I'm working with has over 150 vendors and it's currently listing all of them and using a gigantic amount of space in my gallery display. I want it to display like it does when I have designer up and allow the user to scroll down (like in the second screenshot). I can't find a place to adjust this with the list box display. I haven't found a solution through interface designer either. My issue appears to start when it gets posted to the company gallery. 

Reagan_411_0-1632765437254.png

Reagan_411_1-1632765689122.png

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Reagan_411,

You can often get an equivalent result by using a Tree tool. The Tree tool has the option to change the window height.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 10.20.55 AM.png

The downside of using Tree is that you have to generate a tree-friendly file in order to use it. Thankfully with a simple list like you have, it would be straightforward. You just need to assign a 0-padded key to each option and save it to a yxdb. For example:

KeyOrigin Country (Description)
001Australia
002Belgium
003Brazil

It will then output all the keys selected in a comma-delimited single-cell format. So pop a text-to-columns tool after, then join to your original database to convert keys back to descriptions. It's a little bit of a hassle to set up, but it can still be dynamic.

I hope this helps! If it does, please consider marking it as a solution so others may find it. Thanks!

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

I just wanted to point out that, since @Reagan_411 doesn't need a hierarchy, the input file could contain just a single column (Country). You can select Country as both the Key Field and the Description Field, which has the added benefit of removing the need to translate from the ID (Key) back to the name (Description).

The Tree Input displays the Description field to the user, but returns the selected Keys to the workflow, newline delimited. For example, if I selected Australia and Brazil in @clmc9601's example above, it would return:

However, if you select Country for both the Key and Description, then it would return:

Australia

Brazil

One other note - if you run your app in Designer, it won't honor the tree Height you have selected (but it does honor it when run from the gallery). So, don't be alarmed if it doesn't look the way you want in Designer!

Labels