Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adjust rows into a column and append data

Slushercw
8 - Asteroid

Ok, I'm very new to Alteryx and just trying to do a simple workflow to get my bearings and a foundational understanding.  My biggest issue is what I am guessing is probably easy stuff, but I've done some searching and can't find anything applicable.

Basically I am taking data that looks like (note - "company" field is not in original data):

Capture.PNG

And trying to convert it into:

Capture2.PNG

I know how to do the formula stuff (vlookups/hlookups/sumifs), but I am having trouble getting the row with the company # into a column on its own.  I may be trying to do too much in a single step, but it seems like every single tool I click on only applies to manipulating columns.

Bonus points for how I would replace the data in the 2nd SS with new data in an existing file (i.e. when going to the next month).

I'm sure this has been asked/answered somewhere previously but I was having trouble finding anything.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Look at Transpose tool. This will turn your data into two columns - Name (company number in your case) and Value (the associated number). Once in this format, you can use Summarize to group the data by Company number and Sum up the values.

Here's more on Transpose and Summarize.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's an example including some of the cleaning steps (workflow attached)

transpose.png

Labels