Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Addresses in a Payee Field

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

Good morning - I'm working with a table that has Addresses in the Payee field.  I'd like to segregate these and work with just Payees.

I've tried various string functions (contains, startswith) within a filter tool but each of them seems to look for a specific string of data rather than idnetifying any type of numbers in the field.  While I know this can be done I'm wondering how some of the more sesoned users would handle this situation.  sample data below.

In this situation I want just the records with the names.

Thanks!  George

PAYEE_NAME1
LAURALEI CARL
DAVID J ROME
JOSEPH P CALANDAR
JAMES R HOAGLAND
45 DOCKSIDE LN
4085 E MOUNT GILEAD LN
10296 HERITAGE BAY BLVD

6 REPLIES 6
mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @George_Fischetti,

Is it all in 1 single cell or multiple lines?

If multiple line, how do you identify the break between names?

mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

First try 😊

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@mathieuf  - This is multiple lines (5 million records total).  I use the regex below to split out the names into first name/last name.   I also did this before I realized that there were also addresses in my field.

NameParse.png

mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

I included your regex

George_Fischetti
8 - Asteroid

@mathieuf - outstanding....thank you so much for your input.   I've got to try to master the REGEX language, I've had plenty of help along the way but jsut not comfortable yet.   Appreciate the help!!

mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Regex can be hard to start with but are very powerful to use.

Check the interactive lesson if not already, it's great content: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Creating-Regular-Expressions/ta-p/441412 

Labels