community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Address data comparison

Is there a tool or set of process in Alteryx to compare address data between two tables and merge the bad records with a clean one.
I am dealing with cleaning up of postal addresses. One is a reference address table (good) and the other table has good and bad address data. I couldnt find much details in the forums here but any information would be helpful here to have a go at this task.

Dear Vinod, Please explain your problem in a bit more detail - say with couple of examples. Seems an application of Fuzzy Matching may work in here but actual solution would only emerge once the problem definition is clear with constraints.
Thanks Siddhartha. 

I have two Address tables with similar columns. 

Let's say ADDRESS_DB1 (Master) -  master address data source.
ADDRESS_DB2 (Bad copy - contains similar address but in the wrong format.)

Sample column names:  STREET_NAME , STREET_NUM, STATE,CITY, ZIP CODE. 

Good address from the master ADDRESS_DB1 could be :
1508 GARDINGER WY , ARLINGTON  HEIGHTS, IL, 60004

Bad address from ADDRESS_DB2 could be like:
1508 GARDINGER WAY, ARLINGTON HTS, IL , 60005

As you see here,  the Street name , City and zip code is badly entered which requires a correction and merge to create a new set.

My requirement is to get all the addressess from the ADDRESS_DB2 and look up against Master Address , Fix the addressess and create a new set - NEW_ADDRESS_DB2.

If you could spare some ideas or some sample flows then I should be able to recreate.

Highlighted
Meteoroid
Even I'm facing the same problem....have couple of tables related to Country Names and Codes...one is a reference and other is dirty...need to somehow match the two and find the ones which are similar. I think we need something like Fuzzy Lookup Transformation in SSIS. The Fuzzy match in Alteryx doesn't work the same way I guess....also, there aren't any tutorials clearly explaining its use.
Alteryx Certified Partner
Hi,

One of the best resources that I have found for learning how to use the Fuzzy Match tools in Altreryx is a video by Chris Love (http://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2014/04/02/alteryx-tools-focus-fuzzy-match-make-group-unique/). This video clearly explains how to not just apply the fuzzy match, but also make groups out of the matches so that you can replace the bad text. The Fuzzy Match tools in Alteryx have Address Match styles and so I recommend experimenting with these.

Kane
Bolide

Try running both sets of addresses through a CASS dataset first.  This will convert all addresses to a standard, correct format you can use for comparison.

Labels