Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding specific data sets for each row

scollier1993
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Here's the question that I have. My file does essentially look like this: 

Person 1XX
Person 2YY
Person 3ZZ

Single rows for each record. 

I now want to add specific data "blocks" to those rows, so the result would basically look like this:

Person 1XX123
Person 2YY123
Person 3ZZ123

So I'm adding the "block" with 123; 456; 789 for every single record and the added rows are blank, aside from the information in the "block".

This is done easily manually, but the set I am looking at has a couple thousand rows, so I'd obviously prefer a smarter solution 🙂

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Probably not the most effective method, but you can append the two lists together to get all combinations, then use multi-row formulas to bring the null values back. See attached for an example. Let me know if that works!

echuong1_0-1584651189544.png

scollier1993
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

That pushed me in the right direction. Instead of using the multi-row formula tool, I separated my "block" data set between the first row and the remaining rows. 

First Set:

Block

Second Set: 

Block

I then did the Append Fields for my original file and the file with only one row, then I did the Append fields with the original file and the file that has all remaining "block" records and used the formula tool to basically empty all columns in that data set. 

Then I joined those two and sorted. 

This sounds like more work, but because I had so many fields in my file, it was easier that way because I didn't have to create 30 multi-row formula tools but was able to empty them all in one formula tool.

Capture.PNG

Labels