Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding number from relative cell to a column

mcconse
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have a large set of data set out in sections like below:

Column 1
Text
Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

I need to figure out a way to move pull the number form the top of each data set into a new column like so:

New columnColumn 1
10000Text
10000Text

Text

Text

Text

Text

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!

3 REPLIES 3
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mcconse,

You are looking for a Multi-row Formula tool. You will need some way of defining the header row. The below is the way I would do it. The part in Blue is the method to identify the Header and can be substituted for another way to identify the Header such as "Left([Column 1],1)=='1'" or something similar

IF REGEX_Match([Row-1:Column 1],'\d*')
THEN [Row-1:Column 1]
ELSEIF IsEmpty([Column 1])
THEN Null()
ELSE [Row-1:NewField]
ENDIF

Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

Hello 

Here is a workflow achieving what you want (under the assumption that your numbers start with a 1, otherwise can be adapted)

It's a bit longer than @KaneG's solution, but a bit simpler, as it uses basic IF loops

Let us know if that helps x)

mcconse
5 - Atom

Hi KaneG,

Thanks for the quick response! I believe this formula will work. I need to get a bit more sophisticated with the multi-row formula Regex function.

I'll give it a try!

Thank you! 

Labels