Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding fields to Event E-mails

ChrisWisselo
5 - Atom

Hello all. 

1st community post. Woohoo. 

I am looking to add some fields to the 'Event e-mail' to update the body with for example the week number the report is showing.

There are a few useful 'default' fields but not really 'dynamic' ones. 

Does anyone have an idea how to include for example a [week number] field to the event email body? 

Warm regards,

Chris Wisselo

12 REPLIES 12
Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi Chris

Use the email tool in the reporting palette to control what is sent at the conclusion of the workflow. This will allow you dynamically feed data from the workflow into that email. The events email is primarily used to generate log information only or to run command prompts.

You can also use a combination of both - event email for the log information and an in-workflow email for data specific notifications.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If the event email can be sent on any of the "After Run" conditions, it will include the output log by default. You can introduce some Message tools to the workflow so that the dynamic variables you are interested in will appear in the output log. I have attached an example so you can fill in your email info and try it out.

EDIT:

Using the Email tool like @Inactive User and @ddiesel recommended would be a much cleaner solution if the event email doesn't have to be used.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@ChrisWisselo Welcome to the Community!

I don't know if there is a way to add dynamic fields in the email events, but I frequently use the Email tool to create dynamic attachments, subjects, layout, etc. You have many more options in this tool over email events. I usually only use the email events for notification to myself of runs with errors.

The layout can get a little tricky. I'm attaching one of mine as an example, but there are many ways to configure the reporting tools. I found all the information I needed here in the Community.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@CharlieS very cool! I'm going to use this!

ChrisWisselo
5 - Atom

Hello everyone, 

Thanks for the warm welcome and your suggestions. 

I did use the e-mail object (from the reporting pallet), but that just created 7 individual e-mails, one for each updated row in the basic table object. 

Since this report is to be send to medium and higher management, I better not spam them.

I know how to add 'dynamic' fields in the e-mail object, I just don't want it to send out x-emails in a row. If anyone knows how to prevent that, I'm golden. 

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@ChrisWisselo If you want to go the route of the Email tool, you need to use the Sample tool to only pass one record. See above in the workflow I posted.

Once I sent 200 emails for one report... and that was the last time I made that mistake.

JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ddiesel

Have figured out a way to let the email run even if the workflow has errors? Im wracking my brain.

Also for anyone just beginning to use the email tool I strongly recommend that you include a BCC field and send a copy to yourself. This really helps with keeping an audit trail.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This situation would bring you back to the Event email. One of the configurations is to send an email when errors occur. 

EventEmailonError.png

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thumbs up to @CharlieS's suggestion. Let us know if that works for you.

Labels