Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding fields to Event E-mails

ChrisWisselo
5 - Atom

Hello all. 

1st community post. Woohoo. 

I am looking to add some fields to the 'Event e-mail' to update the body with for example the week number the report is showing.

There are a few useful 'default' fields but not really 'dynamic' ones. 

Does anyone have an idea how to include for example a [week number] field to the event email body? 

Warm regards,

Chris Wisselo

12 REPLIES 12
JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

So the issue is that the dynamic abilities of the email tool are required. In my case I have a workflow that collates thousands of excel reports and then sends tailored exception reports to the necessary people. I use a batch macro so I will occasionally have someone in one of the reports, I still need the flow to run and the emails to send. Its an odd scenario. The event is too limited but allows to send with errors, the email tool is ultra dynamic but wont ignore errors.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi Again @JTCairns!

I understand your scenario. @CharlieS might have some good insight - he's the expert here, but I have one idea in mind.

Can you separate your workflow into two parts? Use one workflow for the processing with the macro, and a second workflow to compile and send the tailored exception reports.

salbol1
8 - Asteroid

@JTCairns 

You came up with a solution I'm assuming, for this given how old this is. This conundrum presents itself now for us due to how smtp is being handled, with many IT shops following guidance on vulnerabilities w/ smtp relays, and them having to be authenticated within the email tool (whether that's Event based, or the normal email tool). I've come to the realization that because of the current inflexibility to be able to include a system variable that can define a forced change PW element, that the utility gained from the Events can only be in the form of "Run with Errors" kicking off a cmd event to run some other module. Static PW's in events don't work with forced changes to them - and no way I'm going to devote time to modify events or other tool elements to accommodate these changes.

salbol1_0-1662742360451.png

I can only use Events now to kick off subsequent daisy-chained runs that have dynamic emails needed, with a macro'd up email tools that can pick up creds from the credentials manager, or a defined environmental variable -- both of which can carry a PW that is forced-changed every 90 days. 

salbol1_1-1662742490298.png

This post has info about a creds manager tool created by @bobpeers - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Retrieve-saved-credentials-from-Window... and this is where that tool can now be found on his github location (NOT on the public Gallery anymore since the migration from the old Gallery) https://github.com/bobpeers/Alteryx_SDK_Credentials

I'd love the Events options in terms of available user created Environmental or System variables being an option, but not that way for now. 

Labels