Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding data/time stamp to output file

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

I need a way to add a date/time stamp to an output file.  For example I would want it named "BH_Analysis_Date-Time". I can do this by using the bottom area called "take file/table name from field" of the output data tool but im currently using it to take 2 outputs to create a workbook with 2 sheets. I've tried both methods in the link but still can't figure out how to do it. I think the issue i'm having with both is it can only use 1 sheet of an input. There has to be an easier way to do this. Any help would be appreciated :)

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/knowledgebase/article-id/668

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/knowledgebase/article-id/347

2.PNG

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If I understand correctly, you're wanting to change the file name using datetime stamp AND change the tab name based on the which branch it comes from, correct? 

One option would be to use a formula to concatenate the whole file path (including distinct sheet name) before feeding into the Output tool. For example, your full FilePath field in the Formula tool could be something like: 

"{File location}\BH_Analysis_" + ToString(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday()),"%Y%m%d") + ".xlsx|||" + [SheetName]

Then you can choose to "Change Entire FilePath" in the Output tool, and it should output to the new file (with date added to filename) by tab (designated by the different sheetnames).

See attached for a simple example! Let me know if that works :)

Cheers,

NJ

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

This worked perfectly, thank you so much. I modified it slightly but it worked great. 

"C:\Users\rtl\Documents\Alteryx Evaluation\Woohoo\"+"BH Analysis." + ToString(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeNow(),"%Y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S")) +".xlsx|||" + [SheetName]

10.PNG

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

One last question. This works great except both sheets have the same columns. For example: I want it to look like the columns below with the 2nd Sheet having columns E and F removed. What's happened though is  columns A-F are all present for both sheets. In the 2nd branch I inserted a select tool and removed the 2 columns I didn't want but it doesn't work. Is there a way to do this?

1st Sheet

1.PNG

2nd Sheet

2.PNG

3.PNG

pgolightly
5 - Atom

I used the example below for an output file with one sheet.  How do I make this work for an output file with multiple sheets?

Thank you

pgolightly
5 - Atom

To clarify - I used this solution.  How do I make this work for multiple sheets?  Thank you

One option would be to use a formula to concatenate the whole file path (including distinct sheet name) before feeding into the Output tool. For example, your full FilePath field in the Formula tool could be something like: 

"{File location}\BH_Analysis_" + ToString(DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday()),"%Y%m%d") + ".xlsx|||" + [SheetName]

Then you can choose to "Change Entire FilePath" in the Output tool, and it should output to the new file (with date added to filename) by tab (designated by the different sheetnames).

See attached for a simple example! Let me know if that works :)

Cheers,

NJ

OIHP
5 - Atom

I'm trying to follow the steps descirbed but it's not worgking for me, probably im missing something or my logic is no quite refined to get my output file Alteryx_BSQR.JPG

Labels