Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding blank Row after total row

afontaine
7 - Meteor

I am looking to add a blank row if the field Account contains "Total" for better formatting.

2019-03-04_18-12-55.png

8 REPLIES 8
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @afontaine 

I did some trick to get there.

Example.png

- Add a RecordID 

- Change it to Double Type

- Add a filter to select records where Account contains "Total"

- Add .5 to RecordID

- Use DataCleansing with all options checked to remove everything from these fields

- Union this to the original Dataset

- Sort by RecordID 

- Deselect Record ID.

I simulated an example. WF appended.

Cheers,

afontaine
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus 

This solution works great. Thanks so much. One thing is that when I output it to excel or pdf it is hiding those blank rows anyway to fix this?

2019-03-04.png

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@afontaine 

This behavior is very weird. I simulated it here and the blank row came out with no problem.

Is there any configuration to do that in your Excel Sheet? Like VBA code or something.

Cheers,

afontaine
7 - Meteor

No VBA code as its just rendering to a temp excel sheet at the moment with similar behavior happening with pdf. I have attached the sample workflow I was working on maybe it is something in the table settings of some sort. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@afontaine 

No idea why it supresses the row. I actually added a browse tool after the Basic Table tool and it's there that the row simply vanishes.

Tried all configurations possible and it ignores rows completely empty, with nulls or whitespaces.

My workaround was to add a "-" instead of leaving rows all empty. I don't know if this would be a good solution for you.

@CharlieS is a master at Reporting Tools. Charlie, could you please shed us some light over here? Does the Basic Table contain this natural behavior?

Cheers,

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @afontaine 

I was able to get the dummy row to display full height by using a formula tool to add a non-breaking space(ALT-0160) to the Account field.  I originally tried with a regular space, but excel hid the row anyway.

solution.pngresult.png

Note I had to remove your macro for the workflow, because I don't have it.

Dan

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great job, @danilang 

I was out of ASCII characters (tried Vertical Tab, carriage return, new line feed) but I had not tried this one.

You're the man.

Cheers,

afontaine
7 - Meteor

@Thableaus @danilang 

Great work, thanks for all the help

Labels