Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding a "missing" input in select tool to rename before data is loaded

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

Hello. I am currently making some workflows on a test database where all the tables unfortunately does not contain data. Assume this wont be changed.

My workflow inputs table from the database and uses crosstab before the select tool. 

Sicar_1-1587852374111.png

My problem is, that when there is no data in the table, the crosstab cannot create the column name "weight_kg" and then i cannot tell the select tool to rename "weight_kg" to "Weight Kg". 

The workflow should be ready to use on the real database containing data. And if i cannot prepare it to rename correctly when run the first time, ill have to manually correct the workflows connecting to the testtables without data once connected to the real database. 

So is there a way to add a "missing" entry to the select tool? So that e.g. if it registers a column once connected "weight_kg" it will rename it to "Weight Kg" instead of outputting "weight_kg" because thats what its gonna register once connected to the real database.

*Edit* Have tried to use a dummy data input, but it doesnt seem the remember the field once i delete the dummy input. 

//Simon.

1 REPLY 1
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @GloriousWater,

there is an easy way to do this:

Use an Text Input Tool with all columns you are expecting and connect it to a Select tool and do the rename. After this, you can connect it to your actual Input and you will see something like this:

grossal_0-1587854448694.png

It tells you that a Column is missing and it would rename it.

I'll attach the super minimal sample for you. Let me know what you think.

Best

Alex

Labels