Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding a column from a different input file

Floris77
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I was wondering how I can add a column from a different input file to the main file. Problem I'm facing; the second input field does not contain ALL combining fiields as the main file.

Example.

File 1

Name     City

Scott       Amsterdam

Eric         New York

John       London

File 2

Name     Phone

Scott      +31123456789

So, how can I add the column 'Phone' in file 1, and showing no phone number for the rows not mentioned in File 2 (as shown below)

Name     City               Phone

Scott       Amsterdam   +31123456789

Eric         New York

John       London

I tried it with the Join and Union function, but that will only show the name with the phone number, not the ones without.

Thanks a lot,

Floris

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

A Join (on Name) followed by a Union (taking the L(eft) and J(oin) outputs) should do what you need.

2016-06-13_14-06-40.jpg

Only issue I could think of is if you have trailing spaces on one of the inputs such that the Names arent equal. In which case you will need to use a formula tool to tidy a little first.

Sample workflow attached.

Floris77
6 - Meteoroid

thanks a lot!

bellhlks
5 - Atom

I have a similar question to the above, but takes it one step further.  I have two files that I am trying to compare, but need to reference two columns in one file to multiple columns in another file.

File 1 includes a list of companies and the year we did work with them. File 2 is the “key” of what priority tier they were in in the respective year.  I would like to pull in the relevant Priority Tier from the relevant year.

I was able to build the Alteryx flow shown above, but cant quite figure out how to do this one.

Here is a made-up example:

In File 1

Date                       Company                             Priority tier        

2015                       ABC Company                 

2017                       XYZ Company                  

2014                       My Company                    

In File 2

2017       2016       2015       2014

ABC Company                  3              2              1              2

My Company                     2              1              2              3

XYZ Company                   3              2              NA           2

Requested outcome

Date                       Company                         Priority tier        

2015                       ABC Company                  1

2017                       XYZ Company                  3

2014                       My Company                    3

egtuna
5 - Atom

I had a similar issue where I had to compare a field from "yesterday's results" to "today's results" to see if any values are/aren't present today, and this method worked perfectly (just had to add another Conditional formula after the union to compare my joined fields between "Today" and "Yesterday" to set to 1 or 0. Thanks for an easy and perfect solution.

Labels