Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding Formula for Text based on another column

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have an existing workflow that I'm using in a tableau dashboard.  In tableau I'm color coding a visualization based on the MoM % and YoY % columns found in this workbook.  Instead of having tableau calculate these, I thought it would be easier and make my dashboard faster to precalculate the color in Alteryx.  To do this, I need to create new columns based on another columns output.

Example:   Row level add new column. If MedianListingPrice_MoM_Pct is greater than 1% (or .01), then 'Green'.  If less than -1% (-0.01) then 'Red' else 'Grey'.   Having that text at the row level in a new column, I can drag to my color shelf in Tableau and select the color desired.

I think I'm over complicating the process due to the current workflow.  Where would you add this and how?  I have a about 30 of these per row to add.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Before you even consider precalcuaing these values I think it’s important to highlight the key limitation of doing this.

You’ll be removing the ability for the user to filter the results as the colours are pre-calculated, this of course means you loose one of Tableau main assets which is the interactivity element.

Is this something you are happy to do?

Ben
BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ben,

I didn’t explain the use good enough. The new columns that have text green, red, gray etc. are only used to color code my year over year and month over month calculations. I don’t think I’ll be losing any functionality within the dashboard itself.

Basically used to color text in tableau. Everything else is already being precalculated in Alteryx already.

Here is an example of the intended use.  In the image below where you see green would be controlled by the new column.  The MoM calc controlled by the MoM color calc, YoY by YoY color calc and filled chart by YoY as well.  User interaction that would cause these to be inaccurate isn't possible with this KPI dashboard.  

KPI tile.png

Thanks

- Mike

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Got it working.  Much easier than I was originally thinking.

At the end of the workflow, after YoY/MoM calcs are created I added a formula to create what was needed. I'll be able to duplicate it for additional columns as needed.

alteryx2.png2018-04-18_21-29-26.png

This added the string column needed for me.

Labels