Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding Filter option just like in excel?

hal_dal
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I couldn't find an answer to my question but do apologize if I missed it somehow.

I was wondering if we're able to add the Filter (one that users can click on to filter fields) like in excel?

I would like this added to my final output file in excel. 

I have tried using the Filter tool in Alteryx but that only shows what I have filtered, it doesn't give the users the ability to filter things when the excel file is generated.

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @hal_dal,

To create something similar you would need to use an app. You can add a select box on a filter and the user would be able to select which fields he wants to get on his final output.

Regards

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here's a small and quick example:

You can feed the real list box with a file containing 2 columns, name and value to make it dynamic

Regards

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Short answer: Not possible. 

Alteryx supports data-only output to Excel using the Output tool, and data+formatting using the Reporting+Render tools. However, the field filter feature is not a formatting feature that Alteryx can add when rendering the output and that must be added after the file is opened in Excel. 

Long answer:

It may be possible to use the Run Command tool to execute a VBS file using CScript.exe that adds the field filters to your Excel file after it is written. Depending on your familiarity with such processes, this could be very tricky. 

hal_dal
8 - Asteroid

@charlie S

Hi, not sure if I should post another post for this?

I was able to create macros to add the filter and was able to do it using the output tool.

However, seems unsuccessful using the Render/Table from report tool.

Would you know if it's simply impossible to apply since it's not technically output into an excel file?

Edit: Sorry, I just re-read your reply again and you mentioned this: "It's not possible when rendering the output", I guess it wont be possible?

Szymon_Czuszek
7 - Meteor

If the field names in the output file are the same run to run, you can use a template file, and use this template via the blob tool. You have to give in the blob input a direct path to were the template is stored, with the configuration shown in the screen shot. Blob Example.png

A blob will be in the out anchor, which you then have to use as a blob field in the blob output tool. In the blob output tool, you can put a relative or direct path, same as the output file. This way, you can output Excel filters, Excel formatting or even charts and pivot tables. And it doesn't matter if you download the result from the gallery or take it somewhere from the server.

Labels