Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adding Blank Columns to a Table

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Hi All!  Honestly at this point I am so confused with what is going on in my workflow I wasn't even sure how to title this discussion.  I've tried to include a diagram/pictures to help show what I am trying to accomplish. 

So, where to start?  Essentially I have a workflow where the user is to upload a report based on a specific grouping.  I then have the workflow go on and perform various calculations and that all works fine.  Where I am getting tripped up is that I then want the workflow to add blank columns depending on what 'Testing Conditions' have been selected.  For example if testing condition 'A' is selected I want it to add columns 'A1', 'A2' and 'A3' to the table.  Please refer to the attached file for an example of what the interface looks like. 

How I actually have this set up in my workflow is a 'Check Box Tool' to select whether or not the testing condition is relevant.  This then goes to an 'Action Tool', which then connects to a 'Detour Tool'.  The 'Detour Tool' is also connect to a 'Text Input Tool' that tells the workflow which columns to add if the 'Checkbox Tool' is ticked.  

The 'Detour Tool' is then connected to a 'Union Tool' so that the additional columns are added to an existing table.  When I run the workflow just in the Designer this all seems to work fine.  All of the additional columns are added.  However, when I run the workflow from the Interface, if I do not select testing condition 'A' the workflow says there is no output.  If I do select testing condition 'A' the columns for all of the other testing conditions are still added to the table even though I have not selected them in the interface.  

Help please!!!

10 REPLIES 10
mattnason1
9 - Comet

Would something like this work?  You'd just have to tweak the interface tools to select which set you want to pick.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response! This seems to work in bringing in the columns, but it's still bringing in columns even if the tickbox is not checked. 

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I'm also now getting an error on the 'Dynamic Select Tool' that says "Dynamic Select (312): Parse error at char(11) : Unknown variable "True".

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Did you create your interface tools like you want them to be set up?  I didn't add options.

I think from a non check standpoint you'd want to create a blank column in the a/b/c/d input and just have that be the default for the dynamic select and the interface tools would update.

If that doesn't make sense I can mock up a little more.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I just copied all of the settings it looked like you had in your file.  If you could do a mock-up that would be great.  Thanks!

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Let's try this first.  Just take your checkbox and action tool which were working and connect them here (although make these updates to my action tool).  That way I can save this as a yxmd which means you can open.  I am not sure you can open the one I attached since I'm not able to open it.

Connect Check Box and Action where these were (to Dynamic Select)

mattnason1_0-1659126591175.png

2) Make Action settings look like this:

mattnason1_1-1659126637862.png

Then I'm hoping this will get you exactly where you need.  If not, I'll mock up better early next week.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I am so sorry, but I'm still having issues.  I'm quite frustrated at this moment because I've spent hours looking at this trying it 100 different ways and I still can't get it to work.  I'm going to take a breather and then I'll try to upload some dummy data to further show where I am having issues.  Thank you so much for all your help so far!  I just don't know what I am doing wrong.... : (

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Could you save your workflow on this post?  If I have your text box tool set up the way you do I can test.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I think I was actually able to get it to work.  Thank you so much!

Labels