Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adding Blank Columns to a Table

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Hi All!  Honestly at this point I am so confused with what is going on in my workflow I wasn't even sure how to title this discussion.  I've tried to include a diagram/pictures to help show what I am trying to accomplish. 

So, where to start?  Essentially I have a workflow where the user is to upload a report based on a specific grouping.  I then have the workflow go on and perform various calculations and that all works fine.  Where I am getting tripped up is that I then want the workflow to add blank columns depending on what 'Testing Conditions' have been selected.  For example if testing condition 'A' is selected I want it to add columns 'A1', 'A2' and 'A3' to the table.  Please refer to the attached file for an example of what the interface looks like. 

How I actually have this set up in my workflow is a 'Check Box Tool' to select whether or not the testing condition is relevant.  This then goes to an 'Action Tool', which then connects to a 'Detour Tool'.  The 'Detour Tool' is also connect to a 'Text Input Tool' that tells the workflow which columns to add if the 'Checkbox Tool' is ticked.  

The 'Detour Tool' is then connected to a 'Union Tool' so that the additional columns are added to an existing table.  When I run the workflow just in the Designer this all seems to work fine.  All of the additional columns are added.  However, when I run the workflow from the Interface, if I do not select testing condition 'A' the workflow says there is no output.  If I do select testing condition 'A' the columns for all of the other testing conditions are still added to the table even though I have not selected them in the interface.  

Help please!!!

10 REPLIES 10
mattnason1
9 - Comet

Would something like this work?  You'd just have to tweak the interface tools to select which set you want to pick.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response! This seems to work in bringing in the columns, but it's still bringing in columns even if the tickbox is not checked. 

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I'm also now getting an error on the 'Dynamic Select Tool' that says "Dynamic Select (312): Parse error at char(11) : Unknown variable "True".

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Did you create your interface tools like you want them to be set up?  I didn't add options.

I think from a non check standpoint you'd want to create a blank column in the a/b/c/d input and just have that be the default for the dynamic select and the interface tools would update.

If that doesn't make sense I can mock up a little more.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I just copied all of the settings it looked like you had in your file.  If you could do a mock-up that would be great.  Thanks!

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Let's try this first.  Just take your checkbox and action tool which were working and connect them here (although make these updates to my action tool).  That way I can save this as a yxmd which means you can open.  I am not sure you can open the one I attached since I'm not able to open it.

Connect Check Box and Action where these were (to Dynamic Select)

mattnason1_0-1659126591175.png

2) Make Action settings look like this:

mattnason1_1-1659126637862.png

Then I'm hoping this will get you exactly where you need.  If not, I'll mock up better early next week.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I am so sorry, but I'm still having issues.  I'm quite frustrated at this moment because I've spent hours looking at this trying it 100 different ways and I still can't get it to work.  I'm going to take a breather and then I'll try to upload some dummy data to further show where I am having issues.  Thank you so much for all your help so far!  I just don't know what I am doing wrong.... : (

mattnason1
9 - Comet

Could you save your workflow on this post?  If I have your text box tool set up the way you do I can test.

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

I think I was actually able to get it to work.  Thank you so much!

Labels