Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add the textbox to the output file name

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to add the user input value (through the textbox interface tool) to the name of the output file name.

For example the user enters -

radhikasood1112_0-1628309335688.png

Then the file should be saved as XYZ_DataFile.(where XYZ is appended to the filename)

Thanks,

Radhika

13 REPLIES 13
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @radhikasood1112 

What is the type of output file? Is it excel?

Can you provide more info on this usecase. Is the output filename and path fixed? Is yes what is the format of the filename?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

-

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @radhikasood1112 

There are a couple of ways to do this depending on the if the file name is fixed or variable 

danilang_0-1628338593919.png

If the file name is fixed, you can use an action tool to modify the File in the Output Data tool directly as in the top example.  If the filename is variable, connect the Text Input to the tool where the filename is defined

Dan

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Nicely done @danilang it was different from my usual approach. Hence was a good learning and getting a new perspective 🙂

Hi @radhikasood1112 

Let me also share my take on it.

Step - 1: Configure filename like below with prefix in the filename.

atcodedog05_0-1628349758575.png

Step - 2: Replace prefix text in the action tool.

atcodedog05_1-1628349791928.png

This should work with any type of file format and should be flexible.

Hope this helps : )

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

The filename and the path to store the file is variable.  Example for the filename - 

XYZ_DataFile.hyper or XYZ_DataFile.csv. XYZ=client name provided by the user.

DataFile is fixed.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @radhikasood1112 

Are you using file browse interface tool to ask user where to save it?

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

Yes - textbox interface tool

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @radhikasood1112 

Can you check the above solutions does those work for you. If not, can you tell us why not?

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the help. The UserPrefix is working. However, if I combine this workflow with the other workflow - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Use-interface-tool-to-select-the-locat... it doesnt work.

radhikasood1112_0-1628523539939.png

Labels