Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add the filename to a table - for each record

david_rogers
7 - Meteor

I have daily data come in and need to make one of the columns the filename.  i.e. reach record in the table would have "todaysfile_02162015.txt" or whatever the file name is.  I can use "Field Info" to get the filename but then I can't link it back into the data so that every record has the filename.  Note: it's the same filename for all the records.

rtaImage (7).png

24 REPLIES 24
PamPam
6 - Meteoroid

Yep! that works perfectly. I just need to come up with the right RegEx pattern, which is not straightforward.

But, this is great! 

Thanks @mbarone

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Welcome!

What is the string you want to parse, and what to want the result to look like?

PamPam
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the string::

File: odbc:DSN=SuteBackups|Select netsuite_2015_m09_d21__10_07_s32.OPPORTUNITIES.* From netsuite_2015_m09_d21__10_07_s32.OPPORTUNITIES

and I need to parse it to:

2015-09-21

Appreciate that.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Ah.  There's probably a million ways to do that, but I'd do it quick and easy and use a text to columns tool delimited by the underscore, with only three or four columns.  On the field with the m## and d## just take the right 2.

PamPam
6 - Meteoroid

Sounds like a great approach. I just implement it and works fine ;)

Thanks again. 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Sure thing!

bconard1
6 - Meteoroid

How could the filename be extracted within a dataflow in order to insert into a filename field and / or part of the filename parsed as a new field value.  I am using the Directory input tool in order to 'loop through' multiple files and process various data / schema within the workflow and want to input the filename as a field value and part of the filename as field for all records processed.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For each file you're looping through - are you reading in the data with a Dynamic Input tool?  In the configuration for the Dynamic Input tool template, you can select to add the file name to the data, just like you can in a regular Input Data tool.

bconard1
6 - Meteoroid
I'm using 'change the entire file path' as I'm inputting data from many files
"This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential and privileged information that is subject to the CNX Resources Corporation Business Information Protection Policy. The information is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you are prohibited from any use, distribution, or copying of this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and then delete this communication in its entirety from your system."
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Right.  And you also have to give the Dynamic Input tool a sample file/template by clicking Edit:
dynamicinput2.jpg

And that causes a pop up that is the same as the configuration of a regular Input Data Tool, where you can bring in either the full path or just the file name as a separate field:
dynamicinput.jpg

Labels