Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add password to the excel generated by render tool

ArtShen
5 - Atom

Hi, I have an issue I need to solve.  I have output data to an Excel file with render tool on the Alteryx server.  However I would like to add password to the file. I am planning to use Python code to add password to the Excel after it is created.  But  the problem is the Excel generated by render tool is sitting at a temp staging folder dynamically created, which is also different from the default folder where Python runs. So I am not able to let Python know where to pickup the file. I know on desktop version we can specify  a fixed location for the file so both tool can access it. Just don't know how I can achieve this on server.  So the question are 1) is there a way to get a path of the temp staging folder and pass it to the Python?    2) any other way to add password to the Excel, maybe within Render tool? 

Thanks, 

4 REPLIES 4
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ArtShen 

1) is there a way to get a path of the temp staging folder and pass it to the Python?   

Please try to use %temp% or [Engine.TempFilePath] to get the temp folder.

We can use %temp% at output folder tool and  [Engine.TempFilePath] at Formula tool.

2) any other way to add password to the Excel, maybe within Render tool? 

No. At Render tool, we can not set the password.

ArtShen
5 - Atom

Thanks @

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I forgot to mention the Python tools.

You are right😀

If you have solved the problem, please mark it as a solution. This will make it easier for others to find the answer.

jsravani
5 - Atom

hi,

I have seen your solution on encrypting excel output from render. I would want to password protect my excel file coming from render tool in alteryx.

Can you tell me how to connect to python in alteryx and output the file with password?

Labels