community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More

Add an Empty Column with a dropdown in output

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Team

How do I add an blank column with a dropdown options already formatted. I want to output this to my excel file. An article here explains how to do it but I can't understand it. Please help.

Thanks

Alteryx
Alteryx

@stevegeorge -

I would output the data to a separate sheet - 

clipboard_image_0.png

Then on the formatted sheet/template, use cell references to fill in your template - 

Formula in A2 =INDIRECT("Data!A2:D")

clipboard_image_1.png

This solution is from @DanielH - Thanks for his posting here - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Revise-the-Google-Sheets-Drop-Sheet-tool/idi...

Asteroid

@JessieC Is this all in excel or alteryx. I tried doing this but I'm getting an error #REF!. Can you please explain how did you manage to get that result in your template excel file? I didn't understand the steps that well. ..would appreciate a greater insight.

Thank You

Alteryx
Alteryx

@stevegeorge,

You would configure Output Data tool in Designer to write out to "Data" sheet, which is in the same workbook of your template/formatted Excel sheet that contains the dropdown menu (this Excel template is already created).

Once the "Data" sheet is created, you will open Excel workbook to update A2 to the INDIRECT formula. Do not copy the formula to the other cells/columns - it should only be the first cell.

See attached for example .xlsx

Asteroid

@JessieC 

Thanks for the help. Can you send your alteryx file too that would really in understanding the configuration required in the Output data tool?

Alteryx
Alteryx

@stevegeorge ,

I don't have the workflow anymore, but here's the configuration for the Output Data tool - 

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels