Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a space in Formula

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

I have a pretty easy question, hopefully. This formula works to combine First Name and Last Name from two fields into one. The Output is FnameLname and I would like a space between to be Fname Lname. How do I add the space? Thanks! 

IF IsNull([Contact Full Name]) THEN [CEO First Name]+[CEO Last Name] ELSE [Contact Full Name] ENDIF

7 REPLIES 7
JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Hi JHosmer!!

IF IsNull([Contact Full Name]) THEN [CEO First Name]+" "+[CEO Last Name] ELSE [Contact Full Name] ENDIF

Just a + " " + in between the lines you want to space.

Quote of a space 🙂

Hope that helps

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

Thank you! I appreciate it! 

LarsDellen
6 - Meteoroid

Hm,

this is actually exactly what I tried, but in my case it was the result of a formula on phone numbers, where I wanted to add a blank space after the country code of a phone number.

The formula result being: +49123456789 should have resulted in +49 123456789

I used this formula:

[Country Code2] + " " + right(length([Phone corrected]-length([Country Code2]))

Country Code2= +49

phone corrected: +49123456789

The error is:

Error: Formula (93): Parse Error at char(157): Invalid type in operator ==. (Expression #3)

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Hi @LarsDellen,

Don't know if you are still working on this but I would stand to guess your numbers are stored in integers.

Can't do "String" functions on "Numbers".

Grab a select too and convert it to a string and it should work.

Let me know if not!

LarsDellen
6 - Meteoroid

HI @JordyMicheal,

the field containing the phone number is in the format of V-WString as that oune seemed to be the right one (I need to have the plus symbol in there).

But adding a blank space in the formula ....+ " " +... results in errors. I've tried different type values, but this always seems to cause an error.

Any other ideas on how to integrate a blank space if not " "? 

LarsDellen
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @JordyMicheal,

the field containing the phone number is in the format of V-WString as that oune seemed to be the right one (I need to have the plus symbol in there).

But adding a blank space in the formula ....+ " " +... results in errors. I've tried different type values, but this always seems to cause an error.

Any other ideas on how to integrate a blank space if not " "? 

LarsDellen
6 - Meteoroid

....I found the solution...

it wasn't the blank space part of the formula, but a brackets closed wrongfully placed...

left([Country Phone Code], length([Country Phone Code])) + " " + right([Mobile corrected], length([Mobile corrected])-length([Country Phone Code]))

Labels