Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a new column with a list of string value

zoeuno
7 - Meteor

Hopefully this is striaghtforward. As can be seen below, I have some data that I want to add a column of names to (all different), can someone tell me now to do that? Thanks!

Input  

Output  
AMY153
BRIAN49
CARL56
DAVID28
5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Do you have the list of names in a separate output, i.e. two inputs that you'd like to join together?

Assuming this is the case and the first column of your top input is the joining field (field is contained in both inputs), you can use the Find & Replace tool to match them up (search for the common field in the top input and append the data from the name input when it finds a match), or a Join tool (join on the common field, and then select which fields to keep and the order you'd like them to display in the field list section in the bottom part of the Join tool configuration).

If that's not the right track, please provide a little more information about your particular requirements! Thanks!

Cheers,

NJ

zoeuno
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the reply! I don't have a separate input and just have the strings of names. For example "Amy Brian Carl David". Is there a way I can implement this without having to create a separate input sheet? Thanks!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can store the names in a text input and use a Join by Record Position

2017-11-07_16-39-33.jpg

Sample attached

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Gotcha - see attached! Example of @jdunkerley79 solution, I believe... Copy your string of names to a text input, split text to rows using Text to Columns tool, and then join by record position.

Hope that helps!

NJ

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yep same solution but I listed downwards

Labels