Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a column with a string value

MaryB
7 - Meteor

Newbie question.

I want to add a new column and for every row put one string value. For example, every row would have the value "Apple." How do I write this syntax in the Formula tool?

9 REPLIES 9
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Simply create the column with the formula tool and in the expression box type 'Apple'

Capture.PNG

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I have the same question, except the interface has changed and the solution shown generates an error.  I am using the Formula tool and getting the error -- "The field "" is not contained in the record. I also tried adding ToString('DUMMY').  Thanks in advance!

error.png

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I figured out the problem was that I had not named the column.  Once I entered a name, it worked.

AMaletta
5 - Atom

To where did you enter the column name?  I am having the same problem that you were able to solve.

TerriLee
5 - Atom

Hi AMaletta

You may have figured this out already but in the interface you click the Select Column dropdown and click Add column, in the same space you can then type the name of the column

Add Column.pngType New Name Column.png

nabrown
5 - Atom

WOW you guys are making my life so easy when this was spoken about 3 years ago - THANK YOU ALL!

RAHULMISHRA
8 - Asteroid

How to do the same thing in Formula In DB?

Manjunath
8 - Asteroid

@RAHULMISHRA 

In the Query include the line:

'Apple' as "Fruit"

to create a column called Fruit with the value Apple inside of it for all the rows

Bobbiconway
8 - Asteroid

I found this helpful. Thank you

Labels