Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Add a column that has date of file creation on each row of data

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Can't seem to crack this. Source data isn't changeable unfortunately so I've got to add a column to the data that says what the date of file creation was, and this needs to be on each row.

DatePerson NameData 1Data 2
11-07-17Person 1xxxxxx
11-07-17Person 2xxxxxx
11-07-17Person 3xxxxxx
11-07-17Person 4xxxxxx

So that date would change depending on when the file was created. These files are expected to either be produced by a person on our end, or transferred by FTP at 0300 so the date shouldn't matter too much. 

How on Earth do I do this?

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

How about creating a [DATE] field with a DATE data type?

The formula would be:

DateTimeToday()

The output would look like:

2017-07-11

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Highlighted
7 - Meteor

You know it's been a long day staring at screens when the answer is that simple.

Thanks Mark.

Highlighted

Step1: Use "Directory tool" to get all the files' metadata, this will give you "file creation date"

Step 2: In your "Input Data" tool, configure output file name as field

Step 3: Join Input data out put and Directory tool output based on file name.. boom you'll get file create date as a field.

This will work even if the file is created on a different date.

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hey gnans19 - could you provide an example? I am trying to bring in 4 files using the dynamic input and would like to add creation date column for each file imported

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hello,
do you have an example of this? I am trying what you said but the join isn't working. the only difference I see in the file name is that the Directory Input has .csv at the end of the file name, and the Input Data file name does not. they are both V_WString's as well.

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi,

Can we get an example for this.

i am bringing data from Various folders and sub folders using a directory tool for specific file name.. i need the Full path and creation date along with it so that i can identify from which location each line item was populated.

thanks

Yogi

Labels