Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a character after every nth charachter in a string.

dgsigl2
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Community,

Looking for some help to allow me to finish off a project that I am working on.  The concept is fairly straight forward but I am having issues resolving.  Basically, I have records where I want to add a delimiter after every 4th value so I can use text to columns to split our the 4 character ID fields I need to isolate.  I feel like the solution is a regex expression of formula of some kind.

Once I can successfully split out the values using text to columns, is there a way to pivot the data from each row into one column with all the values?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi dgsigl2

Assuming I've understood you correctly (which is a massive assumption), this might help you (see below)

Using the regex tool in tokenize mode it splits every 4 character into a separate row. The regex expression is simply four periods/full stops: ....

Use recordID beforehand if you want to keep track of which row they came from.

Capture.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Hello @dgsigl2,

No picture here.  I have a working solution, but I'm going to describe it to you.

• SELECT
    • You need to make sure that the input data length is long enough to support the addition of dots into the values.
  • RegEx
    • Field to Parse:  this is your input field
    • Regular Expression:  
      (.{1,4})
      A group of characters with a length of 1 to 4.  This will cycle through the 4 digit values.  If you end up with a last set of characters that is less than 4 it will put them into that final group.  If you only allow for 4 as the length, it would DROP the last values.
  • Formula
    • Remove the final . from the end of the field
      Trim([Input], ".")

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora
Ignore me
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@dgsigl2,

While I like the .... aspect of @PhilipMannering's solution and appreciate @LordNeilLord providing you with a more complete solution, I do want to point out that the solution provided REQUIRES that the sets all be 4 characters in length.  If the input is ABCDEFG, the result will drop the last characters because there are not 4 characters in that set/group.

I prefer my solution because it does not require a shift to ROWS and then a shift back to a single field.  If you want to use that solution, please modify the .... to  .{1,4}

Cheers,

Mark

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case... Regex \w{4} with output method tokenize with properties of split to rows, recording id, summarize and join tools will get you the desired output. 

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@MarqueeCrew Good point on using the expression .{1,4} if you're codes aren't a length that is a multiple of 4. Hadn't thought of that.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@PhilipMannering,

I hadn't thought of it either, until I tested a similar post and saw it in the sample data.  Now having FAILED ( @mceleavey knows that I am human) with that posts data I learned my lesson.

Cheers,

Mark

Labels