Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add Example Link to Macro Description

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

Anyone know how I can add a link to a workflow with examples in my macro descriptions (see below) ?

Example Link.png

Cheers,

Taylor Cox

Developer/Analyst

Blue Cross NC 

8 REPLIES 8
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Coxta45,

The screenshot seems to be missing from your post.

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

@PaulN,  thanks for the heads up.  Should be there now.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Did not this was possible but ...

Open the Macro file within a text editor and then you can add a section into the MetaInfo section like:

<Example>
        <Description>Open Example</Description>
        <File>D:\Repos\Alteryx\Arms Exports.yxmd</File>
      </Example>

Once that is added seems to work as you'd expect:

2017-04-24_17-44-02.jpg

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

@jdunkerley79,

Thanks for the suggestion, this is definitely the solution - I just have one question:  Can I use relative paths here?  I'd really like to let the package be "lift-and-shift" capable.  The absolute path to the example workflow is working fine, but I get errors when trying to use a relative reference.

Here's the package structure

Macro Package FolderMacro Package Folder

The 'Hover' is showing the Open Example link - which works fine with an absolute path, but I'm getting this error with a relative reference:

HoverHoverErrorError

And here's the Date Wizard.yxmc XML that I've tried...

<Example>
        <Description>Open Example</Description>
        <!-- THIS WORKS -->
        <File>\\SERVER\aRootDirectory\path\to\Alteryx\Macros\Date Wizard\Date Wizard Examples.yxmd</File>
        <!-- THIS DOESNT
        <File>Date Wizard Examples.yxmd</File>
        <File>.\Date Wizard Examples.yxmd</File>
        <File>./Date Wizard Examples.yxmd</File>
        -->
      </Example>

Any ideas?  Or is relative referencing simply not allowed here?

Thanks,

Taylor

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Coxta45,

Alteryx default behaviour is to look for examples under .\Alteryx\Samples\02 One-Tool Examples or Alteryx\Samples\02 One-Tool Examples (or .\Alteryx\Samples\en\02 One-Tool Examples).

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

@PaulN, Bummer!  I suppose I might submit this as a product idea.  I'm thinking that this could likely be added as a new feature in the Interface Designer settings, similarly to the way that you can reference a Help file - which, BTW, could link to an example workflow, but opens a new instance of Alteryx and doesn't show a hyperlink in the Macro description on 'Hover/Click'.

Thanks for the help.

Taylor

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @Coxta45,

These are really good suggestions for Alteryx Product Ideas (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/idb-p/product-ideas)!

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Coxta45
11 - Bolide
Labels